The Parsonage Inn LLC
The Parsonage Inn is home to the Kosters and shared with the public as a Bed & Breakfast guest house. It offers a the charm of a grand Queen Anne Victorian house built in 1882. It exists to welcome the traveler to our rich and lovely downtown Heritage Hill neighborhood and the abundance of culture Grand Rapids has to offer. Experience a bit of history with us!
The parsons behind The Parsonage Inn are pastors Steven and Deb Koster. They love ministry and hospitality, and have a heart for healthy marriages and families. For decades they have encouraged families to stoke the Holy Spirit’s flame at home. That vision eventually developed in part into opening The Parsonage Inn.
Prior to ordained ministry, Steven’s career led him through two decades of technology, communications, and community building. Before attending seminary, he directed Calvin College’s media production and then launched online communities and products for Avid Technologies in Boston. After seminary, he joined Back to God Ministries International as the Director of ReFrame Media in 2006, bringing a wealth of media knowledge and experience, as well as a heart for outreach.
After over twenty years as a Registered Nurse, Deb founded Family Fire as a ministry of ReFrame Media. Following her passion for family ministry, she serves as the editor, writer, and speaker for Family Fire.
Deb and Steven are both graduates of Calvin Theological Seminary and ordained ministers in the Christian Reformed Church in North America. They enjoy leading marriage retreats and family seminars to encourage people in their most intimate relationships. They are the parents of three awesome young adults who also reside in Grand Rapids.
A Summary of the History of 423 Madison
The house at 423 Madison was built in 1882 by Robert Corson and his wife Sarah Skelding Corson. Robert Corson was an immigrant from Scotland and a career salesman and executive in the furniture industry for which Grand Rapids was famous, primarily working for the well-known Berkey & Gay Furniture Co. Sarah was educated at Vassar College and came from a wealthy family with roots in New York. Her father was an early dry goods merchant in Grand Rapids, who claimed to have built some of the first brick structures in the city’s frontier days. In 1881, Sarah, not her husband Robert, purchased the land on which the house stands–her name alone is on the deed.
The house features three floors and at least six original and large bedrooms. It was built in a mix of styles, with a Queen Anne tower and a large sloped-roof wraparound porch. Built without much indoor plumbing, bathrooms were added around 1900. As was common, the back rooms of the house were servants’ areas, accessible up and down a back stairwell running from the laundry in the stone-walled basement to the kitchen on the first floor to the servants quarters high on third floor.
Robert and Sarah had two boys when they moved in, and a daughter soon followed. They raised three children in the home and often had sisters-in-law, Sarah’s parents, and service staff living with them. Family members appear often in the social pages of local newspapers in the early 20th century. Robert Corson died in 1917, and Sarah died in 1929. After nearly fifty years, the Corson family sold the house.
In 1930, William Wallace Sherwood and Virginia Mary Vevia Sherwood bought the house and lived in it for about forty years. At the beginning, they had teenage daughters, Mary Alice and Ann Jeffry Sherwood, and a younger son, Wallace Frances Sherwood. The youngest, David Alfred, followed soon after. W.W. Sherwood was a manager of the Grand Rapids Panel Company on Front street.
W.W. Sherwood installed a grand piano in the front music room, and circa 1940, remodeled three of the five washrooms to feature brightly colored tile work on the floors, walls, and ceilings of the washrooms.
W.W. Sherwood died in 1948, after living in the house for about 18 years. His widow Virginia continued in the house for another 20 years or so, as the neighborhood began to decline from its original glory. As a widow, she divided the three floors of the house into three apartments. Her renovations added walls and doors for more security, including the side entrance for the third floor. The current library was once part of the dining room, and was partitioned off to make a bedroom. The original butler’s pantry was converted to the fifth bathroom. The main stairwell was enclosed on both first and second floors for security, and kitchens were installed on the second and third floors. Mrs. Sherwood lived on one floor and rented out the others for twenty years. She tried to sell the house for about $25,000 through the mid-1960s, but no one would buy it. She died in 1975.
A Heritage Hill Home
Mrs. Sherwood did eventually sell the house for about $18,000 circa 1970, after which the home changed hands more frequently. About this time the Heritage Hill neighborhood became a federally protected site, the first historically-protected neighborhood in the country.
At some point, Susan M Carroll owned the house and lived on the second floor. The first and third floors were rented out to students and young couples, like young seminarian John Rottman, now a professor at Calvin Seminary.
In 1995, the house was sold by Susan M Carroll to Jonathon Wege, the grandson of one of the founders of the Steelcase corporation, and his wife Anna Wege. The Weges invested substantially in the house, remodeling the kitchen to gourmet standards and adding built-in bookshelves to the library. They also likely removed the second-floor kitchen and unified the first and second floors into a single dwelling. Sometimes the house is still referred to as 421-423 Madison because it remained at a 2-unit home until 2017, with the third floor serving as a separate 2-bedroom apartment for strangers to rent.
In 1999, the house was purchased by lawyer Daniel R Gravelyn and Erin E Gravelyn. After Daniel died of cancer in 2010, the house was eventually sold in 2012 to John Scheid & Daniel Snyder, who filled it with a wide array of beautiful antiques.
The Kosters purchased the house in 2017 with the goal of opening The Parsonage Inn, which received its first guests in September that year.